What Can I Import?
The Data Import tool allows you to self-import the following information:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Address 3
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Mobile Number
- Source - where the data came from - this is for GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) purposes
For security and performance reasons you can import 500 records at a time. If you have multiple thousands of records you will need to import your data in batches, although keep in mind that under GDPR you should only import data that you have a legitimate reason to hold.
To start the import process click on Main Menu and Tools. Then choose "Data Import" and follow the step by step instructions.
To make the import process as straightforward as possible we provide you with an import pro-forma to organise and collect the data that you would like to self-import into WriteUpp.
You don't have to use it but please keep in mind that the column headings in the template are the ONLY fields that can be imported into WriteUpp.
When you're collecting your data here's a quick checklist of things you should look out for:
- Should you be importing the data? This might seem like an odd question but to comply with GDPR you must have a lawful basis for storing data. You can read more on the ICO website here - Lawful Basis for Processing
- Are patient names capitalised correctly?
- Have checked to make sure that your mobile numbers DO NOT contain country codes or other letters? Why? Because these numbers will be used for SMS confirmations/reminders if you turn this feature on and incorrect mobile numbers will result in undeliverable messages.
- Have you checked that address details are in the correct fields and that they don't include any punctuation such as commas or full stops?
- Are your DOBs in the correct format (dd/mm/yyyy)?
- Are all email addresses valid?
If you're using the pro-forma click in the top-left cell (where your data begins) and drag your mouse to the bottom-right cell (where your data ends). This will highlight the rows that you want to copy. Don't worry if you include the header row as this and other rows can be excluded when you perform the import.
When the text is highlighted click on Ctrl/Cmd-C to copy the data to your clipboard.
Copy & Paste Your Data
Then paste (Ctrl/Cmd-P) your data into the data import field, as below:
Specify what the source of the data is/was for GDPR purposes and click on the green "NEXT" button at the bottom of the screen.
You will then get the opportunity to:
- Review your data
- Map each column to the appropriate field in WriteUpp
- Identify any validation errors, which will be highlighted in red and decide which rows you want to import
When you're ready to import your data just click on the green "IMPORT" button and confirm that you want to proceed. Alternatively, if you want to correct your data click on "TRY AGAIN", make the necessary changes in your source data, copy it and then paste it back into the data import field, as above.
When the import process has completed you will see a summary of the number of records that were successfully imported. You will also see a list of the records that were not imported so that you can correct the data and re-import it. To make it easier to manage the unsuccessful imports you can export these to Excel.
Need More Help?
We understand that not everything is black and white, so if you need some help, click "Submit A Request" ticket and one of our team will help you out as soon as possible.