What is the Xero Export?
The Xero Export allows you to seamlessly export invoices to Xero directly from within WriteUpp. It removes the need to export data, manipulate it and then manually import it into Xero, reducing what was a three step process to a super simple one step export.
There is some setup involved initially, which this article will guide you through, but before we get started there are a couple of things worth bearing in mind.
When you export an invoice from WriteUpp, it will be imported to Xero in a 'draft' state, and won't contain any payment information even if it has been marked as paid within WriteUpp. You'll then need to follow your normal processes within Xero to approve the invoice and mark it as paid when relevant.
And, the export is a one-way export from WriteUpp to Xero, it is not a sync, i.e WriteUpp and Xero won't "talk" to each other outside of the invoice export process. For example, any changes you make within Xero, eg to a patient's contact information, won't be reflected on the patient's record within WriteUpp. And vice versa, any changes you make to a patient's information within WriteUpp won't be communicated to the mapped contact within Xero.
Why use the Xero Export?
The HMRC “Making Tax Digital” initiative, which takes effect from 1st April 2019, will see changes to the way tax affairs are managed.
It is designed to make sure the UK tax system is effective, efficient and easier for taxpayers, with the emphasis very much on real-time accounting. i.e. constantly knowing what your VAT liability is so that you have made provision for the bill when it arrives
Making Tax Digital for business (MTDfb) begins on 1 April 2019 with MTD for VAT. From that date, VAT-registered businesses above the threshold of £85k will have to keep digital records and submit VAT returns using compatible software.
Invoicing and payments can be handled pretty seamlessly in WriteUpp, particularly if you use Stripe, but because everything we do is patient centric, there's no real way to handle business expenses, like room rental, and no way to submit VAT returns directly to HMRC encompassing your business and all it entails.
Using the Xero Export will allow you to handle invoicing in WriteUpp (because it ties back to your clinical records) and seamlessly export the invoices into Xero so that you or your accountant can handle, in addition to the imported invoices, things like:
- Business Expenses, like room rental and equipment
- VAT/Annual returns
And as HMRC lists Xero as software that will be compatible with MTD for VAT, you'll be able to fully submit your VAT returns online.
1. First, connect WriteUpp and Xero -> How do I connect my WriteUpp account to Xero?
2. Next, configure the settings that allow certain information from WriteUpp to be 'mapped' to the corresponding entity within Xero -> How do I configure the Xero Export
The mappings are for:
- Accounts -> Mapping Xero Accounts to WriteUpp
- Tax Rates -> Mapping Xero Tax Rates to WriteUpp
- Contacts -> Mapping Xero Contacts to WriteUpp
3. If you find that your connection seems a little slow or you see a spinner on screen while configuring Xero, you can find out why here -> Why is my Xero connection slow?
Once you've connected your WriteUpp account to Xero, and mapped accounts, tax rates and contacts, you're ready to start exporting invoices.
4. How to export an invoice is summarised here -> How do I export my invoices to Xero?
You can read about bulk exports in detail here -> Exporting invoices in bulk to Xero
With individual invoice exports covered here -> Exporting individual invoices to Xero
5. As part of the export process, WriteUpp can create new contacts in Xero for you, if for example you are exporting an invoice for a patient who doesn't already exist as a contact within Xero. You can read about this setting here -> Can WriteUpp create new contacts in Xero?
6. To see how you can check which of your invoices have already been exported, click here
-> How will I know which invoices have already been exported to Xero?
7. To learn about how WriteUpp ensures you don't export any duplicate invoices, see here
-> How can I prevent duplicate invoices being exported?
8. You can also check the status of your Xero export, which is covered here -> Can I check the status of my Xero export?
9. And learn more about the Xero Export Log and what it can tell you here -> What is the Xero Export Log?
10. A word of warning regarding deleting invoices within WriteUpp once you have exported them to Xero can be found here -> What are the implications of deleting an invoice that has already been exported to Xero?
11. If you no longer need Xero to be connected to your WriteUpp account, you can disconnect it by following the instructions here -> How do I disconnect my Xero account from WriteUpp?